Friday, August 03, 2007

Dizzying Heights

When I got home from school yesterday, I saw two teeny-tiny men waaaaaay up on the top of the third floor!


They had put more sheathing up, aided in part by the platform Kevin built:


And when I got home they were in the process of putting in roof joists. You can kinda tell Kevin has been doing this for a while. He just saunters along, carrying a joist, stepping carefully, on top of the third floor. It's a long way down, and he's relaxed as can be.


Once Kevin has carried it over, Sam grabs the other end, and they each nail their end in. I like the way Sam has placed boards on the joists, to walk on. This strikes me as a much more reasonable way of doing things!!


But Kevin seemed to be comfortable doing it his way. I'll say one thing: it made it easier to capture photographs of him... Sam is hidden by his boards!


Putting in the last roof joist, and a nice view of the platform used to put up the sheathing...


There were some things that I was utterly baffled as to how they'd accomplished them. For example, Sam had told me he didn't know how he was going to do this:


That is a strap, and you can see how many nails are in it. It requires a lot of nails, and they have to be aimed right because there are pre-cut holes in the strap for them. No big deal, right? Well, how they accomplished this is unfathomable to me, because this strap, as you can see in the next picture, is waaaaay the heck up there. It's just barely visible at the corner where the tall wall and the shorter wall meet. (It's easier to see if you click on the picture to make it bigger.)
Anyway. They'd done a bunch of stuff like that. I was impressed.



And then this morning, they were going to install the boards on the roof of the cupola! So I had to go up and have a look...




Me (with camera) on the second floor, Sam on the third, Kevin on the roof.


Sam (with camera) on the third floor, me on the second, Sioux on the first (but she's hard to see!)


Just before I left for school I took this: the two silhouettes looked mighty small up there. I asked Sam to please be careful!



At this 'framing' stage of things it always feels like a lot happens very fast. Stay tuned for more!

No comments: