Friday, March 17, 2006

So I Had a Birthday Yesterday

and thus ended my full and complete 36th year.



I took the day off and went snowboarding with my friend Dave. I drove, and by the time we met at his parents house he was over an hour late. This is to be expected, though usually this kind of thing drives me crazy. However, I decided to try something different and view it philosophically instead of getting bent out of shape. I was sitting in my truck about to open a book when Dave's father came out of their house and invited me in. I had not seen him or his wife in several years. They gave me a warm welcome and took me on a tour of their backyard fruit orchard.

They live in Clairemont also and have a terraced yard going down into a canyon. They have apple, peach, pluot and lime trees that are all doing fabulously, but the highlight was the passion fruit vines growing along their back fence.

Kim and I have been searching for the ideal plant to cover our back fence, and we didn't want to just stick some ivy or kudzu in the ground. I happen to love passionfruit, and Ihad no idea that it would grow in this climate, or even that it grew on a vine (I had imagined trees). Dave's dad told me that he had gotten his vines from a nursery in Point Loma, and that the vines were a special hybrid developed specifically for the San Diego area. That sold me, and that's another project to be completed with the house addition.

Maybe I can do that after i demolish the hardpan in the back yard, and after the foundation is poured, while we're waiting for the concrete to fully cure...

No comments: