Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A new kind of blogging hiatus...

Well, dear reader, I was at school and had just hit the "publish" button for that last post when my phone rang. It was Sam, telling me that he'd twisted his ankle pretty badly, it might be broken. He said it hurt. Since Sam has ridiculously high pain tolerance, I knew it must really hurt. I rushed home and drove him to the hospital as fast as I dared (which was slower than Sam would've dared!). His ankle looked pretty bad.



The good news is: it's not broken! Just sprained!

And that's really all the news. There isn't any bad news. Sam is a little concerned because there is a chance of rain later this week, and the new construction isn't weather-proof yet, but it'll be ok. We'll find a way to get everything covered up.

In case you are wondering exactly how it happened... he was stepping from the new 'second floor' onto the roof of the house, and his ankle rolled. He heard something which he described as sounding like a 'bang'.
I'm so relieved it's not broken, I could yell at him! :)

He should be off of it completely for three or four days, but the doctor actually advised him to start walking on it again as soon as it was comfortable, to restore the range of motion.

I still have to post about everything he accomplished yesterday and today before he hurt himself, but other than that it'll probably be on the quiet side around here (again!) for a couple of days.

Sam is pretty frustrated, as you might imagine, but overall he's doing well. He made every single nurse we dealt with at Kaiser laugh for one reason or another. He discovered he was quite adept at maneuvering a wheelchair. We went for frozen yougurt after we left the hospital. And now he is sleeping soundly.

I'll keep you updated, I promise!

No comments: